Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Curried Carrot Bisque

For recipe number two I decided to go with a soup. I wanted something easy that I could cook all day while I was away at work. The preparation for this dish was incredibly easy, all it involved was peeling and chopping, which I did after work yesterday (while waiting for my sushi to be delivered, that's sort of multi-tasking, right?). I put the chopped veggies in the fridge, then today before work I put it all in the fun-cooker (30 Rock anyone?), added the broth and spices, turned it on low, pet the cat and left for work. I'd like to say that was the last I thought about it until I got home... but I was nervous again all day. I'm sure the feeling will wear off but leaving a heated appliance on all day at home seems scary, and goes against everything my mother taught me about fire safety. I googled "leaving slow cooker on all day" a number of times. Thankfully when Alex got home before me he did not find a melted counter top or singed cabinet.

I used this Curried Carrot Bisque recipe but left out the milk. I wanna say I left it out because I'm healthy, but I just plain forgot it. I also didn't add the cilantro because I hate buying a whole bunch just to use a few sprigs as garnish.

CURRIED CARROT BISQUE

8 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chicken broth

Put ingredients in slow cooker, cook on low for 9 hours. I then ran everything through the food processor, and put it back in to the crock-pot for about half an hour to heat it back up. I really need an immersion blender because getting the food processor involved was messy business and added a lot of time.
It was tasty! It had an amazing deep savory flavor with some spice, but also some mild sweetness. I was worried it would end up being apple soup because there seemed to be as much apple as carrot but it all melded together. Definitely a success. We ate it with some acorn squash and corn pudding, check out that recipe here. It's not crock-pot recipes but I love 101 Cookbooks, Heidi Swanson posts amazing recipes and some of them are even easy enough for me to make.

It was nice to be able to contribute to the meal instead of Alex having to rush around doing all the cooking. The team work really paid off, I took care of the soup and Alex made the squash, and we actually got to eat before 9pm which doesn't happen often when we cook.

Fall has always been my favorite season but being able to cook all these delicious fall foods is making the season even better. Next up will be something with winter squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment