Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chickpea Spice Stew

Luckily this week's crock-pot dinner was a success because I was seriously thinking about giving up the mission, and the blog, after last week's failure. I'm still sort of feeling like I won't be able to keep this up for long, but I'll keep trucking for now. I'm not sure I will find enough recipes that are good for both Alex and me.

I made up this recipe, but chickpeas, tomato and curry is a pretty typical dish so I'm not gonna take full credit for it.

Chickpea Spice Stew

2 cans chickpeas (drained, rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup water

This was an easy one. All I had to do was chop the onion, and garlic, then put everything together in the crock-pot. I cooked it for 9 hours. We served it over some kale and cousous.
Really tasty stuff. The ginger gave it some spice, and I don't think you can go wrong with curry powder, and cumin. It made enough for lunch leftovers too. I think if I make it again I'll add more spices to give it even more flavor.

I'm not sure how much longer the blog will last. I'm enjoying the cooking, but I'm unsure about the whole slow cooking thing. I like the ease of it, but it seems like it's mostly set up for soups and stews, which aren't my favorite types of dishes. I also don't want to feel like I'm chained to the kitchen at any time. I started it so I would have motivation to cook more, but I don't know if I want to have it dictate my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment