Friday, October 30, 2009

Crock-pot, check.

Step one accomplished! I bought the cheapest, smallest slow cooker available. I almost got sidetracked by digital displays, and pretty colors, but I'm not ready yet to make an investment over $20. Also, with only two of us to feed, and zero counter space, small was necessary. It's not like I'm looking to cook a whole chicken, vegetables are small. It's a 3 qt. little stainless thing. I think I need to give it a name... you know, for blogging purposes? I'm not all that creative when it comes to naming things. My cat came with her name from the shelter, and I've never even come up with an endearing nickname for my husband. The GPS on our honeymoon got nicknamed Lady, but it was highly amusing to say "did you remember to put Lady in the trunk?" I'm gonna work on a name and see what sticks.

For the record, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Slow Cooker Cooking says cooking a whole chicken is dangerous, so it's out of the question anyway. I only got to read a few pages on the google limited preview, I wonder what else is dangerous to cook.

Step Two: Cook

Okay, so, now I guess I actually have to use it. I have the blog, and I have the appliance. I think I need a recipe book so I'll look into that. For now I'm relying on the internet to guide me and I've been able to find a number of vegetarian recipes, which surprised me. I liked the sound of chili now that it's getting cold outside, and it's something I probably wouldn't prepare on the stove because of all the simmering and stirring time. Hopefully by tonight I will have some tasty, slow cooked chili in my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment